Sew, Mama, Sew posted recently asking everyone about their stash. Here's mine; definitely not as big as some, but for me it is a ton! I won't have to buy fabric for a long time. Here's my answers to her questions:
- What do you usually sew?
I am still learning, but I am currently attempting my first quilt, and I've made a purse, apron, lots of napkins, a headband, and dog bed covers. (Is that really it? It feels like I've sewn a lot more!) On my to-do list are things like skirts, curtains, tissue holder, more purses, totes, grocery totes, and more quilts.
- When you shop for fabric, what size cuts do you usually buy? (i.e. If you see something beautiful, but you don’t have a use for it right away, how much do you buy?)
I usually buy 1/2 yard of something that I love but don't have a use for, though I don't do it often since I have so much already!
- Do you buy on impulse or do you go out looking for something you need?
Right now I only buy something I need. But someday......
- Are you a pre-washer? If you are, do you wash your fabric before you need it, or only when you’re ready to use it?
I used to be a pre-washer before my stash got so large. Now I wash before I use it.
- Do you iron it?
Haha, right. I wish! I only press seams, and only when absolutely necessary. I'm lazy.
- How do you sort it? (color, print size, collection, etc.)
It's not sorted at all yet. I am trying to find a small free bookcase of some sort so that I have more room to spread it out.
- Do you have any special folding techniques?
- How do you store your fabric?
I stole a few shelves off of my husband's bookcase in our game/sewing room.
- What tips do you have for building up a well-rounded stash?
I'm too much of a newbie to give advice!
- When do you say enough is enough?
If money was no object, never.
- What are some of your favorite stash-busting projects?
I don't think I have one yet, but it will probably end up being quilting.
- Do you have a current favorite print in your stash? Let’s see it!
I had a tie. I love these two prints. Apparently I am on a blue and brown kick!
Never having to buy more.