Rainbow Buttons by jenniferworthen
I've been doing some reorganizing of my sewing space, which included switching from one mason jar per color of button to one big jar now that I'm not using buttons as often. I guess I unconsciously went in order as I was dumping them in, because I ended up with a rainbow. Now the only problem is that I don't want to dig in and mess it up!


WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced
Turns out I have a lot of works in progress (WIPs). And then I have a lot of planned but not started projects, projects I want to do but haven't planned, and projects I'm sure I want to do but I just don't know it yet. Haha! When my friend Amanda started writing WIP Wednesday posts, I knew I needed to join her to give myself some accountability in finishing the projects I've started before I begin new ones. So here is my first WIP Wednesday post!

New this week:

  • Drunkard's Path quilt
Quilts near completion:

Snapshots Quilt Top
  • Snapshots Quilt
  • New Wave Quilt
Quilts nowhere near completion:
  • Farmer's Wife Quilt
  • Strip Quilt
  • Starry-eyed Quilt
Miscellaneous projects:
  • Tote Bag
  • Napkins
  • Paper-pieced hexagons
  • Flower embroidery
  • Wizard cross-stitch
I guess there are a lot here I haven't ever shown you all! I've got some pictures to take for next week!

This week's stats:

Completed projects - 0
New projects - 1
Currently in progress - 11

Yarn Bombing

I found this fun yarn bombing on campus a few weeks ago. I can't even imagine how long this must have took. I mean, look at how far out these trees go:

Yarn Bombing

Amazing!

CVS 2010

Wow, that’s a lot of stuff! I’m so grateful for the CVS ExtraCare Program and how it enables me to save a great deal on toiletries and pass on some of my deals to my local food pantry. My totals for 2010 are:

YTD Out-of-pocket (OOP): $156.19
YTD Savings: $2102.45
YTD eBay sales: $31.59

That makes my net cost for everything pictured above only $124.60. Amazing! I made my yearly goal of a 92% savings rate (achieved 93.1%), but I didn’t make up 75% of my OOP in eBay sales (achieved 20.2%). I definitely can’t complain, though! I’m going to keep the same goals for next year. I hope you all had as great of a year couponing as I did!

Christmas Wreath

Remember last year's slightly sad wreath? It was so empty and plain. Fortunately, it's had a bit of a makeover this year, thanks to clearance shopping. We bought a ton of ornaments at Target last year after Christmas, and I just now got around to adding them to the wreath. All it involved was tying the ornaments to the frame with tie wraps. I'm not too keen on the bow anymore, but maybe I'll get more ornaments this year and convert it to an ornament wreath. I do love the sparkliness and glitter. (My spell-checker says sparkliness is not a word, but I think it should be.) Yay for glitter!

P1000858

A few weeks ago some friends and I threw a diaper shower for our friend Ellie, who is expecting a little baby girl. I baked The Pioneer Woman's Cinnamon Rolls, and they were quite a hit. I've never made homemade cinnamon rolls before, but these were very easy and so delicious!

P1000855

We thought some pretty flowers for the nursery would be nice, so I made a felt flower bouquet using this tutorial.

P1000930P1000932

We made a couple of banners, including a diaper banner since it was a diaper shower,

Lots of Diapers!

and for our gift, Beth and I made cloth diapers. Actually, Beth did all of the sewing, but I did some cutting! We got the PUL from these two shops, based them off this pocket diaper tutorial, and used butter suede fabric from Hancock for the stay-dry lining. They turned out really cute. Congratulations, Ellie! We're so excited for you!
Free Crafting Patterns at married to a bmw

DSCF0004

It was my birthday a few weeks ago, and I picked a new method of spice organization for my present (hubby let me pick what I wanted). I modeled mine off of these two methods, and I think it turned out pretty awesome.

DSCF0013

It’s so nice to have everything right there where I can see it. The colors are so pretty!

DSCF0010

The jars are 4 oz. Ball canning jars with the normal two-piece lids replaced with one-piece lids. I ended up having to use four 1/4” neodymium magnets per jar, affixing them with Goop. (I tried hot glue first, but it wasn’t strong enough.)

For labeling the jars, I originally wanted to etch the spice names onto the bottom of the jars like in this tutorial. Unfortunately, I don’t have a vinyl printer, and I definitely didn’t want to cut out each name from vinyl with a Exacto knife, so I bought glass etching cream and small alphabet stamps. After testing, I decided that this method was not going to work either; the stamps didn’t give a sharp enough letter to be readable. I ended up picking these clear printable labels to avoid obscuring the pretty spices from view.

Did you guess right?

Halloween Wreath

It’s a wreath! Isn’t it so much fun? When I saw Cara’s ribbon wreath, I knew I had to make one. Halloween ribbon was on sale at Michael’s last week, so it was perfect timing. I ended up using 20 spools of ribbon for all of the loops (with a little left over), and one big spool for covering the foam wreath. The “Trick or Treat” sign was also on sale at Michaels, and I just poured a bunch of hot glue onto the spot I wanted it and stuck it on. Hopefully it will stay there! The whole process took a little longer than I expected, but it was really fun. You might end up seeing more ribbon wreaths here in the future.

Boo



I know I've been absent for a while.


I just wanted to let you know that I'm still here, and to give you a sneak peak of what I've been working on this week.


I think you're gonna like it. I know I do.